It's Nur's Birthday!!
Requested was chocolate mint for the cake, and who am I to disagree on that??
This is my first layer cake so I was pretty excited, I had to assemble the cake at the birthday dinner, so of course the writing and piping would have been a bit neater if they were done at home. Other than that I'm really happy with the cake and most important the birthday boy is too.
Chocolate frosting ingredients
Mint swiss meringue buttercream- My new favorite!
Frosting the cake
The open cake
Chocolate Mint Layer Cake:
For the cake and chocolate frosting I used this recipe from
Simply Recipes, I was really pleased with the results, but
here are a few more tips:
For the cake:
• I just don't own the same size pan three times so I used
aluminum pans, which saved me the effort of cleaning
three baking pans and was very useful when storing the
cakes before frosting.
• Instead of storing the cakes in the freezer I just kept them in the fridge until my frostings were ready.
• The recipe says to line each pan with parchment paper, I
buttered and floured my aluminum pans and the cakes
popped right out.
• One important step is to bake the cakes separate! I
tried to save time and bake them all at once in the oven and that didn't work at all.
For the frosting:
• Sift the sugar and cocoa, the frosting could end up grainy.
• I would definitely use less sugar, I used only a very small
amount of the frosting but if I would use it as a filling it
would've been too sweet.
• If you are planning to use the frosting only to cover the
cake thinly like I did, make half the amount- that will for sure be enough.
Swiss meringue buttercream:
4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
300 gr butter
1 tbsp peppermint extract
green food coloring
Pinch of salt
I want to give a big thanks to Cassie from How To Eat A
Cupcake for posting such a great tutorial (with video clip)
and a link to another helpful video on her blog about making
swiss meringue buttercream. It made the whole process clearand easy.
It was a huge help and now I have too fallen for this frostingand it's my absolute favorite!
For the tutorial of swiss meringue buttercream go HERE.